Re: New Draft comments: textual bodies

Hi Rob,

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Robert Sanderson wrote:

> Then there's Markdown, various wiki languages, RTF, various XML or JSON dialects for mark up, etc etc. I don't see a client could be expected to know even that it can't properly render a comment without some level of metadata.
>
> Unless literals are restricted to *only* text/plain. So no markup at all.
Take Flickr commons (http://www.flickr.com/commons) and look at the thousands of notes people provided for the images there.

Those are real-world annotation examples all of them being simple plain strings. They could easily be represented as...

flickr:note1 a oa:Annotation ;
oa:hasBody "what are those holes for?" ;
oa:hasTarget <http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalmediamuseum/3588905866#xywh=160,120,320,240> # sample pixel values
 > ;

…without missing information a client needs to render an annotation.

This should show that plain string annotations occur in the real world and I think OA should take this account and support this kind of simple annotations.

But again: this is not against the existing ContentAsText approach for more complex requirements, which, I certainly agree, must be supported. It is, as Antoine said, just about providing simple patterns for simple, real-world needs.

Bernhard