Re: Style

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Moderator bouncing message, stripped of attachment which was to big for
> mailing list size limit.
>  The attachment is archived at:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Jul/att-0038/proposal_style.png>]
>
> Dear all,
>
> There was an offline discussion last week concerning the current use
> of oa:hasStyle being attached to the Specific Resources which we
> should continue online in the larger group.
>
> The concerns that were raised with the current model for style:
>
> * Specific Resource nodes cannot be re-used between annotations, as
> someone might attach a Style to it in another annotation, thereby
> changing all of the uses of the Specific Resource.  If the nodes
> cannot be reused, then they're significantly less valuable
> (essentially they may as well be blank nodes!)

Which makes the inline target language terribly inaccurate! ;)
http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/#TargetInline

I agree. We could do better.

In particular, I've been re-thinking the importance of fragment
identifiers as targets where they are well understood. If URIs with
non-empty fragment identifiers could be used as targets, then some
simple uses become very attractively minimal. One might assert the
hasSource to facilitate query-ability, but the annotation could be
quite few triples.

> * The Specific Resources would then identify the section of the
> representation, rather than a styled section of the representation.
>
> * Conceptually the style is for the Annotation.  It would be cleaner
> if it were attached to the Annotation rather than the individual
> Specific Resources.
> * It would thus be somewhat easier to ignore for clients that don't
> expect to process it.

+1

> * The CssValueStyle class is a nasty hack -- it's not a valid CSS
> file.  If we're just creating our own hack, we can do it in a
> different way just as easily.
>

> And after some discussion the proposed change was:
>
> Instead of attaching to the Specific Resource, oa:hasStyle would
> attach to the Annotation.  The object of the relationship would be a
> valid CSS file that describes all of the stylistic features for the
> resources that are part of the annotation graph.
> A diagram form is attached.

I wonder if it makes sense to do the same with hasState, only it's
less clear to me what a real, implemented example would look like than
it is with the example hasStyle CSS.