citations etc

From: Ilan Kernerman <ilan@kdictionaries.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 10:46:23 +0000
To: "public-ontolex@w3.org" <public-ontolex@w3.org>
Dear all,
Following our last call, here are some suggestions:

*         A citation consists of a quote from a corpus (text); it may either (i) include a reference to its origin (bibl), or (ii) not.

o   An attestation is the reference to a source (bibl) without its actual citation.

? (in other words, bibl and attestation might be similar, but the latter is not preceded by a citation)

*         An example of usage (or usage example) is human-crafted, whether (i) corpus-inspired/derived, or (ii) not.

o   The example can consist of either a full sentence or a short phrase (and could also be a citation)

? (there are different types of examples - mainly of general patterns, for reception/decoding purposes, active for production/encoding - but that is probably beyond the scope here)
This might seem like over-simplifying or distorting matters, but I hope it is useful for more accurate mapping/tagging.
I think this does not contradict the concerns raised in Fahad's article :):
"Lemon, unlike TEI-DICT, however focuses on capturing the conceptual content of a lexicon, that is, it takes a primarily lexical view of lexical resources... Hence there is no conflict here between the demands of fidelity to the text in its lexical view and the text in its editorial and typographical view as there is in TEI; lemon simply prioritises the former."
"...a proper encoding of citations attesting to lexical properties must take into consideration at least two different kinds of conceptual entity: citations and attestations"
Best,
Ilan