Re: Next skype call on 24th of October, 14:00 CET

HI all,

I suggested another version that follows the existing specification
https://www.w3.org/2016/05/ontolex/

We wrote that

"A *lexical sense* represents the lexical meaning of a lexical entry when
interpreted as referring to the corresponding ontology element"

And in contrast

"we would like to express the fact that a certain lexical entry evokes a
certain mental concept rather than that it refers to a class with a formal
interpretation in some model. Thus, in lemon we introduce the class *Lexical
Concept*"

Thus, in my interpretation, senses in traditional dictionaries should
always be modeled as lexical concepts.

Lexical sense has always been quite a technical concept, and honestly I
think calling it 'lexical sense' has created much confusion (way back in
the first Lemon model I had proposed to call it a *sememe)*. I think we
need to make a clear and unambiguous definition of lexical sense, that
precludes its usage without an ontological reference, as this is how it is
defined both in the final specification and in the OWL code (*reference
exactly 1*).

I have created a flowchart (for discussion, attached) to try and explain
(IMHO) the differences between senses, concepts and references.

I also noted that there is no need to define a new example object if it
only has an rdf:value, in this case using a single skos:example triple is
both more compact and inter-operable.

Regards,
John