Re: Ontolex as an ISO international standard

Dear all,

> Hi Philipp, Paul, I fully support this move.

Standardizing Ontoles is a logical and necessary next step, and most
people would probably welcome it. The question is whether ISO is ideal for
the purpose.

> BTW, is ISO going to take the spec as it is, and propose a standard, or
> it will only be the starting point of the notoriously lengthy and tiring
> work of an ISO committee?

Well, we (or, at least, *someone*) probably cannot avoid the latter, do
we? In any case, the ISO standardization suffers from insufficient
transparency, also with respect to sharing and commenting drafts. I
remember TC37/SC4 drafts should not have been disseminated at some point,
and some server had to be switched off to prevent people from accessing
them. If we can make sure (!) that the ISO standardization process does
not hamper community involvement (at least at an informal level), I am
inclined to support it. Even though it means that the development process
will be partially taken from the hands of the current (open) community
(that's also what ISO means).

Does anyone has personal experience with the double ISO-W3C
standardization processes?

Best,
Christian

--