Re: ontolex & vartrans

Hi Philipp,

> Am 30.06.2015 um 21:33 schrieb Philipp Cimiano <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>:
>
> Dear all,
>
>  I have cleaned up the ontolex and the vartrans modules (up to translation). I hope to finish with synsem and vartrans this week actually.
>
> While doing this, a question came up. Under the definition of lexical variants, we now say:
>
> By lexical relations, we understand those relations at the surface forms, mainly motivated by grammatical requirements, style (Wortklang), and linguistic economy (helping to avoid excessive denominative repetition and improving textual coherence). Examples of lexical relations are the following:
> Orthographic variants
> Diatopic variants (e.g., localize vs. localise)
> Diachronic variants (e.g., different scripts for languages such as Azeri)
> Ideographic variants (e.g., in Japanese both “寿 司” and “鮨” are used for sushi)

just a clarification question: if you have variants like these
http://tangorin.com/kanji/%E7%B4%99 <http://tangorin.com/kanji/%E7%B4%99>
http://tangorin.com/kanji/%E5%B8%8B <http://tangorin.com/kanji/%E5%B8%8B>
there is not a compound orthographic variant (like in your example) but both kanji express the same concept. One (the first one) is common in today’s japanese writing system, the other is a traditional form. Such a relation is quite common due to historic developments of kanji characters and it may be of interest to capture for various linguist researchers. How would one express such a variation?

Best,

Felix