Re: Issues with backwards compatibility

Dear John, all,

it seems that there is somewhat of a preference to use "Multi-Word
Expression" instead of "Phrase". Francis and Paul have argued that
"Phrase" as a notion is too general.

In your definition quoted from the "Dictionary of Lexicography", the
crucial aspect is that the MWE has some non-compositional behaviour. I
think this is crucial from a lexicon perspective as we would encourage
including only such phrases in the lexicon that can not be fully
analyzed compositionally by combining the references of their parts.

However, we might for some reason or the other also represent Phrases in
the lexicon in spite of being quite compositional.

Thus, I am inclined to include both "Phrase" as a subClassOf of
LexicalEntry and "MWE" as a subClassOf Phrase in the model.

With this we allow people to express the non-compositional character of
a Phrase if they want it, or use the generic "Phrase" if they do not
wish to make this distinction.

Just my two cents,

Philipp.

--