Re: lexicalization count

Hi John,

     oh yes, principle R3. I vaguely remember it. Thanks for reminding
me of this principle that I have been vigorously defending may times and
that now I tend to forget occasionally ;-)

Now seriously. There are a number of people that are using lemon and
hopefully ontolex at some stage for use cases that the model was not
originally meant to support.

The use of lemon and similar vocabularies to describe bilingual
dictionaries was surely not the originally purpose of the model.
Nevertheless, there are people interested in using the model for this.
So being very pragmatic here and in order to foster wide reuse of the
model, we should have an interest in supporting this.

In the case of the UPF bilingual resources, there are no references
because there is no ontology.
So the vanilla solution for classical ontolex models, i.e. simply using
the lexical entry - sense - reference, does not work here. We could
argue that this is not what the model is to be used for ... hmm ....

Your are right in that translation is a specific example of synonymy
across languages. Agreed.

Synonymy between senses and synonymy between entries is clearly
different, I agree.
However, I am saying that we could facilitate the use of the model by
allowing people to use the translation relation by underspecifying the
actual senses that are translations of each other.

It is about defining the translation relation as follows:

\forall x, y translation(x,y) <-> (Sense(x) \wedge Sense(y) \wedge
interlingualSenseVariants(x,y)) \vee ( LexicalEntry(x) \wedge
LexicalEntry(y) \wedge \exists s_x, s_y sense(x,s_x) \wedge sense(y,s_y)
InterlingualSenseVariants(x,y))

There is clearly no logical issue in defining such a property.

It boils down to a primitive property interlingualSenseVariant defined
between senses.

So what I then propose is to introduce a basic property
InterlingualSenseVariant for what we have so far been calling
"translation" in the vartrans module, and what you call "translation" in
your answer below; this would be  a subclass of SenseVariant and
InterlingualVariant.

Translation could then be a polymorophic property that is defined
between senses or lexical entries with respect to
interlingualSenseVariant as base property as sketched above. I do not
see any harm in this if it fosters use of the model.

To be maximally precise, we could define the property
InterlingualSenseVariant that precisely corresponds to what you call a
translation; and then have a somehow underspecified property or class
translation or Translation.

So technically  translation would become a superproperty of the relation
"interlingualSenseVariant", which I am not proposing to introduce
explicitly, but only conceptually as the counterpart of the class
"InterlingualSenseVariant".

With this, we give maximal precision of expression to those people who
want it and a more "vague" concept of Translation for those who do not
need this kind of precision.

Regards,

Philipp.

--