RE: summary of state-of-play

Dear all, sorry for the silence of these last days..

...I would make things more complicate by adding a few things on the
discussion :-)

First of all, I would reply on the commitsTo. Agree on changing it.

Also, a part from the fact that we may have some inverse properties, a few
things which I would maintain for sake of understandability and ease-of-use
are:

1.       The directed path: Word-->Lexicalsense-->Lexicalconcept-->OntEntity
(so, beyond any name’s choice,  we need an inverse of subsumes, and to me it
is more important and of common use than the opposite direction)

2.       OntEntity --> LexicalConcept . (As I still imagine people willing
to simply decorate ontentities with lexical concepts from a resource like
wordnet)

Now, the added things:

1.       IMHO, we should be more clear about what a Lexical Concept is.
While I myself initially pushed for this name, as I felt this was the most
ideal subsumer of things like synsets, I wanted to at least try a step back
in understanding what is this real difference from simple skos:Concept (I
sent an email on 14/06), as we should motivate its existence, and other
“surrounding” things would come out easily..

a.       I read in a past email (maybe from Philipp?) that a Lexical Concept
is a concept which is lexicalized, but I would avoid such a definition. In
these terms, almost any skos dataset that I know ok, would contain
LexicalConcepts instead of skos:Concepts. Lexical Concepts are instead a
sort of semantic backbone of language. See, apart from the “5 papers on
WordNet“, which just hints at them, also [1] and [2] (in particular start of
section 3 of 2, and also this extract: “Rather, they are units of linguistic
knowledge abstracted from across usage events (i.e., utterances) that encode
linguistic content and facilitate access to conceptual (i.e.,
non-linguistic) knowledge” ).

b.      If we feel clear any difference, then LexicalConcepts are ok (and we
should then understand the differences with respect to, let’s say, highly
lexicalized conceptual structures such as Agrovoc, Eurovoc or GEMET),
otherwise, it is difficult to motivate their existence (that is, it is not a
naming problem).

2.       I’m still really doubtful about “LexicalSense”. I would strongly
vote for “Sense” alone. Almost all the literature I read on this (but I’m
not a linguist!) speaks about senses and it is also nn clear to me what
adding Lexical means. Btw, not willing to create more entropy than
clarifications, so if it “frozen” now, I can live with it!

I’m not voting for the other properties…still thinking about them..

Best,

Armando

[1] VYVYAN EVANS  "Lexical concepts, cognitive models and
meaning-construction",2006,"Cognitive Linguistics"

[2]
<http://www.vyvevans.net/On%20the%20nature%20of%20lexical%20concepts.pdf>
http://www.vyvevans.net/On%20the%20nature%20of%20lexical%20concepts.pdf