Re: SKOS compatibility

Dear all,

I agree with what John says regarding the mapping bewteen SKOS and the
OntoLex model, and this is what I was trying to say in the last telco.

In fact, the lemon model allowed to represent most of the information
expressed in SKOS (unless we had decided to remove some of the
representational possibilities in the OntoLex model). Let's see if I got
this correctly:

 1. I would say that the link should be to Lexical Entries, and we could
    automatically generate the information about LexicalForm and also
    writtenRepresentation (string and language). (See example 5 in lemon
    cookbook about "animal" and "creature")
 2. Usually a label in SKOS represents the lemma, so this would be what
    we call in lemon "cannonical Form", and any morphosyntactic variants
    would be additional Lexical Froms (other Forms) associated to the
    same LexicalEntry.
 3. Each LexicalEntry would be related to a different LexicalSense. At
    the LexicalSense level we  could state that there is a relation of
    "terminological variants" between or among them (see the
    classification we proposed in
    http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Specification_of_Requirements/Properties-and-Relations-of-Entries).
    What we could probably not state is which this terminological
    variant relation is (are we talking about diachronic variants
    (tuberculosis and phthisis)? I am not sure we could infer this
    automatically... maybe yes?? But the thing is that we could
    represent this in the Ontolex model).
 4. Additionally, in lemon (see Example 9 in the lemon cookbook), we
    could state that one was the preferred reference, versus alternative
    and hidden references, although here the semantics were not 100%
    equivalent to SKOS, but still we could say that the "preferred
    label" corresponds to the "preferred reference", and the rest are
    alternative References??
 5. The only problem is that sometimes what we consider morphosyntactic
    varianst (acronyms vs. full forms) are also different labels in SKOS
    (so, consequently Lexical Entries in lemon), and according to our
    OntoLex model, they should be Lexical Forms associate to the same
    Lexical Entries. Maybe this could also be inferred automatically??

In any case, and taking into account that SKOS normally represents
terminological resources, I would say that mostly the correspondence
would be to Lexical Entries.

My two cents!
Elena.

--