Lexical Sense vs. Sense

From: Philipp Cimiano <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:43:25 +0200
To: "public-ontolex@w3.org" <public-ontolex@w3.org>
Dear all,

   concerning our discussion last Friday on using Lexical Sense vs. Sense.

According to wiktionary, the adjective "lexical" means:

 1. (linguistics </wiki/linguistics>)concerning thevocabulary
    </wiki/vocabulary>,words </wiki/word>ormorphemes </wiki/morpheme>of
    alanguage </wiki/language>
 2. (linguistics </wiki/linguistics>)concerninglexicography
    </wiki/lexicography>or alexicon </wiki/lexicon>ordictionary
    </wiki/dictionary>

I think this makes sense as we talk about senses that concern the
entries in a lexicon.

Under thus understanding of "lexical" I propose we keep the class name
"Lexical Senses" for two pragmatic reasons:

1) property "sense" and class "Lexical Sense" are truly different, not
just by case
2) we have some backward-compatibility with the lemon model

Hope this is fine for everyone. If not, please shout!

Philipp.

--
Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
Semantic Computing Group