Re: On-boarding headlight (INTERNAL)

On mar., 2014-03-11 at 13:52 +0000, frode.kileng@telenor.com wrote:
> I agree with you Ann that there's a broader perspective and this was
> also the reason I subscribed to the mailing list.
>
> On-boarding for me is a continuous process internally, spreading the
> word of W3C and trying to increase our involvement. And in this
> process, I'm surprised that there's so little "ready to use" material
> about W3C facts, status, "plans". I guess there are others in big
> corporations that faces the same issues.  And, IMHO, material of this
> type is also helpful in the initial on-boarding process of new
> members.

First, let me clarify that by "on-boarding", I meant making easier for
new individuals to get started in W3C (i.e. at the individual level, not
at the organization level).

I agree that increasing participation in general is a worthwhile goal;
the reason my proposal has focused on "on-boarding" is that it seems to
be that the biggest hurdle is to make it possible for people to get
sufficiently involved that they will want to get more involved — once
that barrier is down, it's much easier to iteratively reduce the other
barriers.

Also, given how broad the topic of "increasing participation" is, I
thought that a focused approach might be more tractable.

Finally, as Frode puts it, once you have maintained materials for
newcomers, they are useful to everyone, not just the newbies.

But I certainly will not object to broader the scope of this task force
as long as we don't spread ourselves too thin.

I'll look at the overlap between
https://www.w3.org/wiki/Encouraging-Participation and
https://www.w3.org/wiki/OnBoarding as suggested by Art.

I'm less keen on merging with Webizen which seems to be on a very
different track — it seems to be not as much increasing participation in
W3C standardization work, but creating a broader community around W3C
values and goals.

> Regarding my contribution, my initial thoughts was to help identify
> some "needs" based on my own experience.

That would be a terrific contribution, Frode; to be entirely honest, I
had been hoping to pick your brain on these questions from the very
first day I thought of that topic :)

Dom