Re: Drop 'formal semantics' from the deliverable list

From: Renato Iannella <renato@knowledgeflux.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 10:48:10 +0000
To: "public-ole-comment@w3.org" <public-ole-comment@w3.org>
CC: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>

On 7 Dec 2015, at 7:58 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org<mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:

The current text in the list of deliverables includes:

> A technology-neutral permissions and obligations information model with formal semantics

This may be dangerous as part of an official deliverable text. The term “formal semantics” is, in many respect, a very loaded term and may mean the development of some sort of a mathematical model to express the model which can become very complex and difficult to understand. Consider, for example, the [prov formal semantics document](http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/NOTE-prov-sem-20130430/). I do not think we should put this into a "required" list of deliverables.

Agree. I think we drop the word “formal” from the title.

If there is a need from the WG participants for a “formal” model, then that can become a WG NOTE.

Renato Iannella
Head of Innovation and Emerging Technologies, KnowledgeFlux
Level 7, 100 Edward St, Brisbane 4000 AUSTRALIA +61 4 1313 2206