Re: Constraint V Refinement

@victor

>  I do not see a great difference between refinement or constraint because
its interpretation is not defined (cf. examples in a testbed where an
algorithm must behave differently in each case),

well the idea was to make a distinction between (see discussion here
https://github.com/w3c/poe/issues/282):

   1. constraints that describe the world state under which a rule becomes
   effective (Rule --odrl:constraint--> Constraint),
   2. constraints that refine party/asset/action of a rule such that the
   refined party/asset/action represents those affected by the Rule
   (Action/AC/PC --odrl:refinement--> Constraint)

[image: image.png]

here are a few links to our discussions back in the day:

   - https://github.com/w3c/poe/issues/211#issuecomment-325198929
   - https://github.com/w3c/poe/issues/191#issuecomment-315283129
   - https://github.com/w3c/poe/issues/112
   - https://github.com/w3c/poe/issues/226 (discussion about refinements at
   the end)

> therefore the difference is only philosophical to me

well, we explicitly prohibit outcomes of refinements to result in the empty
set, see e.g.

   - https://w3c.github.io/poe/model/#constraint-action
      - Note: The outcome of applying refinements to an Action SHOULD NOT
      result in a null operation.
   - https://w3c.github.io/poe/model/#constraint-asset
   - Note: The outcome of applying refinements to an AssetCollection SHOULD
      NOT result in a null set.

while this comes with its own slew of issues, restrictions that for example
can't be satisfied at all can technically not be used as refinements

> Can someone suggest improved definitions/clarifications for these:
>  - A Rule MAY include the constraint property to indicate a condition on
the Rule.
>  - An Action MAY include the refinement property to indicate a Constraint
that narrows the semantics of the Action operation directly.

but not for:
- An AssetCollection MAY include a refinement property to indicate the
refinement context under which to identify individual Asset(s) of the
complete collection.
- A PartyCollection MAY include a refinement property to indicate the
refinement context under which to identify individual Party(ies) of the
complete collection.
?

Btw in the BP document, deliveryChannel is used as refinement on the action
https://w3c.github.io/odrl/bp/#x2-1-narrowing-the-applicability-of-an-action

cheers, simon