RE: Comment on Action vocabulary

Good question.

I think the key difference is: is something new created by changing the data – having an “old” copy and a “new” copy of the asset – or stays the asset as a whole the same – only one copy exists – but the data of this asset has been modified.

By my interpretation of the current definitions:

-          modify and addTo does not create a new copy only the data of the one and only asset are changed

-          derive, reproduce and extract create a new (copy of the) asset.

I agree some minor word-smithing may be required to make this crystal clear.

derive: The Assigner permits/prohibits the Assignee(s) to create a new derivative Asset from this Asset and to edit the derivative.

extract: The Assigner permits/prohibits the Assignee(s) to extract parts of the Asset and to use it as a new Asset.

reproduce [unchanged!]: The Assigner permits/prohibits the Assignee(s) to make (an) exact reproduction(s) of the Asset.

Reading that raises this issue: what is the difference between derive and extract?

Many might interpret a derivative is a look-a-like, something that still has key features of the original asset; while extracted data might not allow to trace back the original.

If this is shared by others we should try to pin this down in the definition. Our goal must be to have definitions an unambiguous as possible.

Michael