Re: Next Web Focus

On 1/29/14 9:46 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:
> The CSS WG has a number of proposals that allow CSS to introduce new
> boxes in the render tree and control layout of said boxes.  Are there
> missing fundamental primitives that would allow these very high level
> proposals to develop by community and experimentation rather than by
> committee.  Do you think so?  If so, what might that look like?  If not,
> we just leave these new ultra-high level things developing in committee
> unexplained - hope and wait?  Note that some members of this group are
> on that WG and they can be good advocates if we have thoughts.

I think this group will be strongest when it focuses directly on
low-level APIs (which are blossoming) or on extending markup using the
p(r)ol(l)yfill tools available.

All of that fits neatly and explicitly with the messages defining the
group and in the Extensible Web Manifesto.

If there are high-level features needed to create the experimental zone
described in the manifesto, that also seems like necessary conversation.
  However, I haven't seen any sign whatsoever that the Regions spec is
needed to do the work described in the manifesto.

I feel like I come from a culture similar to but strangely different
from the work of this group, one considerably more cautious about leaps
that erode core structures and values.  Nonetheless, I would strongly
recommend that this group _as a group_ avoid anything plausibly labeled
"ultra-high level".

Participate in those conversations as individuals, certainly, but I
can't see why this group as a group should have opinions on such proposals.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/