RE: Proposed W3C Charter: Web and Mobile Interest Group (until 2013-06-16)

Here are the AT&T comments to the proposed charter:

1) We recommend to add to the bullet list under "The tasks the Interest Group will undertake include:"
* Definition of guidelines and requirements that promote app usability and efficiency

These may be covered under the more general objectives listed, but it would be better to be more explicit since these are two aspects that are of particular important in mobile use cases. Also the development of guidelines is important (in addition to requirements), as this group should continue setting priorities for developer outreach, e.g. as was started in the original Mobile Web Initiative [1], and continued in the CoreMob CG [2], and the Network Friendly Webapps CG [3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/Mobile/

[2] http://www.w3.org/community/coremob/
[3] http://www.w3.org/community/networkfriendly/

2) We recommend to link "Web and Mobile Interest Group home page" to the actual page.

3) We recommend to change "Based on adoption of the existing features identified in the Core Mobile Web Platform 2012 report, the Interest Group will assess the need to define a broader set of features required to enable the next generation of Web applications on mobile"
to "The Interest Group will update and extend the Core Mobile Web Platform report as needed to define a broader set of features enabling the next generation of Web applications on mobile".

The update/extension should be independent of CoreMob 2012 adoption. We should have the ability to create new versions even if the consensus in 2012 turns out to be less accurate in terms of predicting feasibility or adoption. There were many forward-looking aspects to 2012 which may take some time to be adopted, and in the meantime new features (e.g. WebRTC, Web&TV) need to be assessed as part of CoreMob 2013.

4) As per the comment (1), we recommend to add under "Deliverables":
Usability and Efficiency Considerations for the Web on Mobile
   This document will analyze use cases and derive related guidelines and requirements that promote app usability and efficiency for the web on mobile devices.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan