Re: Call for Consensus: Please review the draft charter

On Monday, November 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Michiel de Jong wrote:

> hi! i'm new to this, so i'm just saying what comes to my mind, without being held back by any expertise on the subject ;)
>
> > 1. Can run locally on a device (including, but not limited to mobile devices, desktops, and server-class machines)
> why include server-class machines?

I wanted to capture these use cases…

http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/

Though Scott (cc'd) might be able to better articulate the intent here.

> i would say either 'mobile devices and personal computers', where personal computer is meant to mean laptop+desktop together. And maybe even split mobile into 'phones' and 'tablets', although i can understand if you think it's too early to talk about tablets.

No, I don't think it's too late. However, I want to be generic so we can be future looking (i.e., whatever the next "big thing" is going to be) and not be exclusive to any device (e.g., wrist watch, toaster, etc.).

> > 2. Can be deployed, or otherwise embedded, from a server.
>
> i don't understand the use of 'embedded' here. maybe this is where you can use the 'installable' word? i think part of what we want to learn is what the words install, deploy and embed mean to the security expectations of a user, so probably the word we are looking for to describe point 2 is a word that does not exist yet, but will exist next year. :)

I guess what I meant there was kinda like using HTML's <iframe> element. Like Wookie and Open social gadgets are installed on the server, but get served as iframes in documents.
> > 3. Can be transformed into other formats so that they may be run across multiple platforms.
>
> other than what? i think 'multiple' makes more sense here, and maybe it's more a question of packaging than of formatting? because the format i understand to be html5 (as in html+css+js), and the packaging is what you do to make it run across multiple platforms.

You are correct. Good suggestion. Does this make more sense:

" and to be transformed into other packaging formats so that they may be run across multiple platforms (without needing to change any HTML, CSS, or JavaScript)."

--
Marcos Caceres