Re: Welcome to the Native Web Apps Community Group!

On Aug 26, 2011, at 18:42 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Welcome to the group! It would be great if we could have a quick round of introductions.

Hi all!

I'm Robin Berjon. I'm here as an independent as well. I currently work as a freelancer operating on all things Web-related — code, standards, cat herding, innovation support, research, futurology, kremlinology, you name it ;) I've worked on standards stuff for almost ten years in various capacities. I'm currently chairing the Device APIs WG and participating in a bunch of others. Previously I've chaired the Web APIs WG and the binary XML WGs, I've worked a lot with SVG, mobile platforms, TV interfaces, open source (mostly Perl and JS). Before that I ran my own web agency for about five years. I may on occasion make counter-productively bad jokes. I live in the part of Paris known as the Autonomous Republic of Belleville.

There are so many people working in so many ways on the web as a platform with so many different visions and differing interests that it has often been hard to get the right people simply talking to one another. This leads to an awful lot of "us" vs "them" moronitude between people who essentially have the same goal — a kick arse open web platform. Meanwhile, the proprietary apps world keeps improving. I'd therefore very much like this group to be about candid and frank exchanges between people who don't usually talk. Forget what you think you know about "them" — whoever "them" is to you — and leave your confirmation bias at the door.

> It would be great if everyone could send a brief bio, maybe company you work for or if you are here on a solo capacity, and discuss your interests and expectations for this group. It would also be great if you could say what kind of contribution you could make (e.g., javascript, c++/Wekbit, java/Android) or spec writer.

I can write specs, spec-writing tools (ReSpec is my baby), and prototype bad ideas in JS.

> You can find me lurking on the W3C IRC channel for this group:
> irc://irc.w3.org:6665/#native-web-apps

Not to be overly annoying right off the bat but do we truly need YA channel? Couldn't we simply reuse whichever of #wam or #webapps it is that is open to the broader community?