Re: Turtle as an SW IG Note?

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Ivan Herman wrote:
> [taking out the cc-s, and replacing it with the mailing list address]
>
> Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> [snip]
>>

>> We have an N3 primer the first bit of which is turtle.   We could do the
>> conversio of te RDF primter - might be interesting.
>>

> I actually had a run at it, here is the RDF Primer converted for Turtle:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/02/turtle/primer/
>
> It was quite straightforward, because the core text used, essentially,
> n-triples. I had to change the examples and there was only one section
> that required some more significant change. The result, not
> surprisingly, is way simpler.
>
> Small issues only:
>
> - I had to remove a number of examples that are inherently bound to
> RDF/XML. Eg, CC/PP, as far as I know, does not accept Turtle syntax (it
> is under discussion at the Working group for the new version) and,
> afaik, RSS1.0 is also bound to RDF/XML. I also removed an appendix on XML.
>
> - I removed (but that may have been a mistake) the separate section on
> the XMLLiteral. Obviously, this is a more complicated issue in RDF/XML;
> I would think that, in Turtle, it is just a special literal that may not
> warrant a separate section. Similarly, I removed a section that showed
> how RDF/XML can be embedded into SVG code; I guess it would be a bit
> unusual to embed Turtle into the SVG with CDATA (processors making use
> of that stuff would probably use the full DOM tree of SVG)
>
> This is a first run only, all cross references must be checked, the
> turtle examples should be run on a parser to check them, etc.

Wow, that's more than I was thinking of.  I meant just produce something
like the section 2 of th RDF/XML REC, which told you how to write
things down in the syntax, once you had an understanding of RDF.
which is pretty much the first part of the usual CWM/N3 semweb
tutorial that Tim, DanC and other have given several times.

Dave