Re: Turtle as an SW IG Note?

[taking out the cc-s, and replacing it with the mailing list address]

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
[snip]

> We have an N3 primer the first bit of which is turtle.   We could do the
> conversio of te RDF primter - might be interesting.

I actually had a run at it, here is the RDF Primer converted for Turtle:

http://www.w3.org/2007/02/turtle/primer/

It was quite straightforward, because the core text used, essentially,
n-triples. I had to change the examples and there was only one section
that required some more significant change. The result, not
surprisingly, is way simpler.

Small issues only:

- I had to remove a number of examples that are inherently bound to
RDF/XML. Eg, CC/PP, as far as I know, does not accept Turtle syntax (it
is under discussion at the Working group for the new version) and,
afaik, RSS1.0 is also bound to RDF/XML. I also removed an appendix on XML.

- I removed (but that may have been a mistake) the separate section on
the XMLLiteral. Obviously, this is a more complicated issue in RDF/XML;
I would think that, in Turtle, it is just a special literal that may not
warrant a separate section. Similarly, I removed a section that showed
how RDF/XML can be embedded into SVG code; I guess it would be a bit
unusual to embed Turtle into the SVG with CDATA (processors making use
of that stuff would probably use the full DOM tree of SVG)

This is a first run only, all cross references must be checked, the
turtle examples should be run on a parser to check them, etc.

Ivan