Re: [ = shortcut

> On 17. Jun 2022, at 14:05, Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine@w3.org> wrote:
>
> oh... right, '=' is a shortcut for owl:sameAs! I totally forgot about that.
>
> From Henry's email, I thought that [= ID ... ] was a special kind of brackets, that allowed you to nest a description, but having ID as the subject of this description, rather than a fresh blank node.

I think [ = is acting like a special kind of brackets in cwm’s implementation.
It was Dan Connolly who pointed me to this trick.

Perhaps if we had [= as a special token it would be clearer and allow = to be used
for owl:sameAs equivalent.

> This is a nice feature of JSON-LD (see example below) which I wish was available in the Turtle family of syntaxes.
>
> {
>   "@context": "https://schema.org/,
>   "@id": "#pa",
>   "@type": "Person",
>   "affiliation": {
>     "@id": "#w3",
>     "@type": "Organization",
>     "founder": {
>       "@id": "#timbl",
>       "@type": "Person
>     }
>   }
> }

yes, exactly. The idea is just to have a syntactic way
to speak of a URL in nested manner.

using owl:sameAs reasoning to get the same same effect would be
a very different thing.

> [...]
>> >.
>>
>> {   ?S ?P ?O.
>>     ?O e:label ?L.
>>     ?O = ?A.
>>     ?O ?B ?C.
>>     ?B log:notEqualTo owl:sameAs.
>> } => {
>>     ?S ?P ?A.
>>     ?A ?B ?C.
>> }.
>>
>> For an example see https://github.com/josd/eye/issues/42#issuecomment-1158126514
>>
>> -- https://josd.github.io
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 9:19 PM Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine@w3.org> wrote:
>> This is indeed a nice feature (that I wish Turtle had, by the way...).
>>
>> Any reason why it is not supported by EYE?
>>
>> On 16 June 2022 20:23:11 CEST, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> Someone asked me to add their WebID to my profile which I wrote in N3 years ago.
>> But I could no longer compile it to other formats like rdfxml and Ntriples with
>> cwm as that was written for Python 2 and Python 3 is the default on MacBook Pro M1s.
>> (See my bug report [1] )
>>
>> I tried eye but came accross this problem I described in
>>
>> https://github.com/josd/eye/issues/42
>>

>> In short I used the feature of cwm to use
>>
>> :a :rel [ = ns:j;
>>        foaf:name ”Jos” ] .
>>
>> as a short-cut for
>>
>> :a :rel ns:j .
>> ns:j foaf:name ”Jos” .
>>
>> This makes it nicer to write long foaf files by hand like
>>
>> :me foaf:knows [ = <
>> https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i
>> >;
>>                     a foaf:Person;
>>                     foaf:name "Tim Berners Lee";
>>                   ],
>>                   [ = <
>> https://my-profile.eu/people/jwinandy/card#me
>> >;
>>                     a foaf:Person;
>>                     foaf:name "Jonathan Winandy";
>>                   ],
>>                   [ = <
>> https://my-profile.eu/people/tim/card#me
>> >;
>>                     a foaf:Person;
>>                     foaf:name "Tim Boudreau" ],
>>                   [ = <
>> http://www.turnguard.com/turnguard
>> >;
>>                     a foaf:Person;
>>                     foaf:name "jakobitsch jürgen";
>>                   ] …
>>
>> Because it avoids me having to link to a URL and not be able
>> to see who that refers to without having to search through the whole
>> file for additional metadata.
>>
>> I could not find that feature described in the current n3 spec
>>
>> https://w3c.github.io/N3/spec/
>>

>> But I may just not have read it correctly.
>> In any case I could not get the expected result with eye, but there
>> I may also not be using it correctly.
>>

>> Henry Story
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/linkeddata/swap/issues/3
>>

>> https://co-operating.systems
>>
>> WhatsApp, Signal, Tel: +33 6 38 32 69 84‬

Henry Story