RE: http://www.w3.org/2008/02/MS4D_WS/papers/unicef-w3c-presentation.html

Dear MW4D group,

I would also like to also briefly comment upon Stephane's remark.

I think all in this group would agree that reduction of the total cost
of ownership is one of the most important success factors in providing
universal access to people in the developing world. It goes without
saying that telecom liberalisation has ensured strong competition, which
in turn has improved the breadth and depth of offerings and ultimately
brought down prices in developed and less developed countries alike.

Unfortunately, high data costs and nascent business models in many
developing countries still make it prohibitively expensive to create
and/or facilitate the delivery of broad-based, locally relevant and
sustainable data services.  The net effect is a missed opportunity of
providing information access to those that need it the most.

However, I think that through creative partnerships - be they with
governments, NGOs, other companies - there is a strong potential to
provide affordable and relevant services. Inspiration from the financial
sector's empowerment of the rural poor through microfinance comes to
mind.  In short, I think we should welcome all stakeholders to tackle
the challenge.

With best regards,

Sean