RE: Teleconferences

Hi,

First of all, congratulation to W3C to this initiative, specially to the
opportunity to watch the congress here at São Paulo, Brasil. I am sure
that this type of discution will break quicly some barrers and the
technology will help the developmtent of world, maily developing
countries. I live in Brazil and we have two distinct scenarios: one is
similar to developed countries, where we use high tech devices (iPhone,
powerfull smart phones, etc...)  to navigate, to make digital signature,
to send and receive e-mails, and so on. In other hand, we have the
majority of users with simple devices in a pre-paid model. This model
limit the usage only because the idea is to receive call no to make call.

Just to put more pepper/salt  in this discution, it is important to
consider the business model used in countries such as Brazil and  Mexico
(in fact, i believe that is in all Latin America). Here, most part of
mobile devices is pre-paid and have limited access to internet (not ont
the band but the traffic).

As a company, we are trying to use mobile devices in two ways: to make a
broadcast of information (SMS) and star simple application (simple
navigations), but we are having problems to deal with more complex apps.

Thus, considering the use of this device to navigate on Internet is not
totally real or acceptable. I do not know how countries from Africa (that
I believe has a similar business model, considering economic aspects) deal
with this. Does the mobile user only to receive (acting as a passive
device) or it is really used to navigate (acting as active device)?

I hope I could help in this discution.

Thanks,

Lauri.K.Hirvonen@nokia.com
Enviado Por: public-mw4d-request@w3.org