From: Chetan Sharma [mailto:chetan@chetansharma.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 5:01 PM
To: chetan@chetansharma.com
Subject: New Paper: Mobile Services Evolution 2008-2018

Mobile Services Evolution 2008-2018

Bellagio, Italy. July 13 - Aug 1, 2008

This project has been made possible by the generous funding from THE
UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION <http://www.unfoundation.org>

Download PDF
<http://ehealth-connection.org/files/conf-materials/mServices%20Evolutio
n_0.pdf>

<http://ehealth-connection.org/files/conf-materials/mServices%20Evolutio
n_0.pdf>

http://www.chetansharma.com/UNF-MobileServicesEvolution.htm

This weekend in Bellagio, Italy begins a 4 week long dialogue on the
subject of eHealth. The Conference - Making the eHealth Connection:
Global Partnerships, Local solutions is being organized by the eminent
Rockefeller Foundation <http://www.rockfound.org/> . It will bring in
experts and organizations from around the world to discuss, share,
develop, agree on solutions going forward. Each week deals with a
different nuance of the eHealth framework. This will allow for an
in-depth study and discussion. Full conference info here
<http://ehealth-connection.org/> .

Week 3 deals with mHealth and Mobile Telemedicine
<http://ehealth-connection.org/content/mhealth-and-mobile-telemedicine>
being organized by The UN Foundation, Vodafone Group Foundation, and the
Telemedicine Society of India. As part of this conference The
Rockefeller Foundation and its partners have released a series of white
papers on various subjects. I was asked by The UN Foundation to look
into the potential Mobile Services Evolution going forward and how a
platform could be developed that will enable a number of applications
focused on enterprise, health, public safety and associated
sub-segments. While it is difficult to predict with any precision what
might happen 10 years from now, one can try to understand the evolution
of technologies, business models and their interrelated ecosystems and
see the impact on various vertical segments where we use technology to
solve some basic problems. Most of the time, technology itself doesn't
cut it, it requires partnerships, collapsing of the bureaucracy,
innovative funding means, and just the burning desire to make a
difference that matter the most. I strongly believe in Mobile's central
role in a number of social and public services. Mobile Services
Evolution 2008-2018 is a small effort to forward that discussion.

Abstract

Over the last 10 years, the progress made in the global mobile industry
has been truly stunning. Mobile device ownership has gone from being a
luxury item to necessity as the feverish rate of adoption has spread
mobile technologies into every corner of the world. As we look into the
next 10 years, it is certain that the mobile phone will be used for much
more than just voice communications. There is an opportunity for private
institutions and public enterprises to build a vision of cohesive mobile
services platform that enables and engages the masses to both
fundamentally enhance the quality of their daily existence as well as
lead to new opportunities globally. This paper takes a look at the
potential evolution of mobile technology and services over the course of
the next 10 years and discusses an M-Services framework for building and
deploying diverse mobile services. The paper also looks into the
challenges of such an endeavor and steps that will be needed to achieve
the vision.

Table of Content

Abstract

3

Introduction

4

Mobile device: The Remote control of our lives

5

Mobile Technology Evolution 2008-2018

7

Deployment and adoption of mobile technologies in the developing
countries

9

Mobile Services Platform

10

What does it take to make it happen?

15

Conclusions and Recommendations

18

Download Complete Paper - PDF
<http://ehealth-connection.org/files/conf-materials/mServices%20Evolutio
n_0.pdf>

Thanks to THE UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION <http://www.unfoundation.org>
for making this work possible. I will be presenting the paper at the
conference later this month.

Your feedback is always welcome.

Thanks

Chetan Sharma

Coming this fall

Wireless Broadband Technology: Conflict and Convergence
<http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Broadband-Technology-Conflict-Convergenc
e/dp/0470227621/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215797595&sr=1-3>

VernFotheringham and ChetanSharma

IEEE Press/John Wiley

"This is as comprehensive a book on Wireless Broadband as I have seen.
The authors of this book address the most important issues facing the
players in the wireless ecosystem in great detail and provide a very
thoughtful analysis."

SteveElfman, President, Sprint Nextel

Recent Publications/Media Interviews/Mentions

The NY Times

Apple Aims for the Masses with a cheaper iPhone
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/technology/10apple.html>

The guessing game has begun on the next iPhone
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/technology/28apple.html>

WIRED

Google's Open Source Android Phone Will Free the Wireless Web
<http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/16-07/ff_android>

MIT Technology Review

Why Helio didn't connect?
<http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/21036/?a=f>

GigaOM

Is 3G Ready for the iPhone Stress Test?
<http://gigaom.com/2008/06/08/3g-network-iphone/>

International Journal of Mobile Marketing

A Five Point Measurement Framework for Mobile Advertising
<http://mmaglobal.com/modules/article/view.article.php/a1999>

Time Magazine

The iPhone's Next Frontier

Brandweek

Did AT&T Make the right call with Apple's iPhone?
<http://www.brandweek.com/bw/content_display/esearch/e3i76a689103c1b2ad6
29825a2007c175ea>

San Jose Mercury News

IPhone 3G ready for global debut
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_9836713>

IPhone 3G has business appeal
<http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_9806363>

New iPhone unveiled today? <http://www.mercurynews.com/apple/ci_9527319>

The News Journal

iPhone 3G expected to lure early birds
<http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/BUSIN
ESS/807100327/1003>

Bloomberg

McCaw May Vex Sellers, Revive Mystique with Clearwire
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aahJnxHApbW0&refer=
news>

Book

Mobile Advertising: Supercharge your brand in the exploding wireless
market (John Wiley & Sons)
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470185988?ie=UTF8&tag=wirelessdatas20
&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470185988>

Whitepaper

Inside the USPTO: A guide to the patenting process
<http://www.chetansharma.com/insidetheuspto.htm>

Whitepaper

What is your Patent Portfolio Quotient (PPQ)?
<http://www.chetansharma.com/patentportfolioquotient.htm>

 Upcoming Events

21 July

IAB Mobility Forum, NY

29 July

eHealth Connection, Bellagio

8 Sept

Mobile Search Experts Group, Napa Valley

10-12 Sept

CTIA, San Francisco

Sept

Mobilize, San Francisco

Oct

Seattle Mobility Conference, Seattle

3G Americas Analyst Forum, Dallas

In addition, Chetan will be doing some private briefings to carriers,
content providers and enterprise solution providers

 Upcoming Research

Aug

US Wireless Data Market: Q2 2008 Update

Mobile Enterprise Mobility

Sept

Global Wireless Data Market: Half-yearly Update 2008

Oct

Wireless Broadband Technology: Conflict and Convergence (Book)

Nov

Measuring your IP ROI

US Wireless Data Market: Q3 2008 Update

Dec

Mobile Industry 2009 Forecasts

(c) Chetan Sharma Consulting 2008. All Rights Reserved.

Chetan Sharma Consulting is a consulting and advisory firm helping
companies in the mobile and voice communications sector. Our expertise
is in developing innovation-driven product, business, and IP strategy.
We've helped companies like NTT DoCoMo, China Mobile, Samsung, KDDI,
Alcatel-Lucent, Sony, Virgin Mobile, KTF, Sprint Nextel, Reuters,
Disney, Qualcomm, Infospace, Reliance, BEA, HP, Merrill Lynch,
Cincinnati Bell, Bain, SAP, Vulcan, American Express, and many others.
What can we do for you? www.chetansharma.com
<http://www.chetansharma.com/>

If you have questions or suggestions or feedback on this subject or on
the wireless & mobile industry at large, please contact us at
feedback@chetansharma.com
<mailto:chetan@chetansharma.com?subject=Feedback>  - we look forward to
hearing from you.

Subscription Information
We provide news and analysis on a regular basis to anyone interested in
the mobile communications industry. Please feel free to pass along this
email message in its entirety to friends and colleagues who you think
might find it useful. Anyone wishing to be added to the email list can
subscribe by writing to subscribe@chetansharma.com