RE: Music accessibility questions

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

From the email responses I read, my understanding is this is not a straightforward process as I had hoped for as music accessibility is still in its early stages.

My goal is to follow the WCAG 2 AA rules and there doesn’t seem to be set rules yet for sheet music other than a descriptive alt tag. (So do I leave it at that?)

The manual is for the Canadian Armed Forces musicians however the Government of Canada follows the accessibility AA rules and the manual will be posted on the public Canada.ca website. All military personnel including musicians must pass a high level of medical exams including eyesight. They are soldiers after all with musical talent.

Is it a balance between making it available to the music branch personnel especially when they travel and for the visually impaired to be able to understand what we posted? (It seems to be a real struggle with the lack of accessibility tools available right now.)

Being a web developer, I can code in JSON but my concern is it’s time consuming and in a very specialized field. JSON is not for the general public or even web publishers so once I’m off this project, who would code any changes or edits etc moving forward? But if this can be done solely with software, it may be a viable solution.

I know the pride our Canadian military has for inclusiveness and diversity so they would love to have the Marches, Calls and Protocols fully accessible for the blind and so would I. My question is, is it even possible today? The project has time and financial restraints of course.

Question:

1.      Are there any crowd sourcing groups or anyone you know that would volunteer to help make the sheet music accessible for the blind? For example, the UK crowd sources its military history archives (they are way more organised and advanced than most countries are).

2.      If yes, do I provide a separate document specifically for the blind? I’m open to all suggestions if it’s doable.

I’ll review all the links and responses again and ask questions as I move forward. Ideally, I would like to find a solution that works well for our Canadian Government, our military Music Branch and the blind or partially sighted persons.

I’m new to music accessibility, so being aware is very important for change especially in my capacity as a web developer.

Any other suggestions or ideas, please feel free to email me. I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely yours,

Suzanne Doyle

Web Developer, Directorate History and Heritage (DHH)
National Defence | Government of Canada
Suzanne.Doyle@forces.gc.ca<mailto:Suzanne.Doyle@forces.gc.ca> / Tel: 613-290-2102

Développeur web, Histoire et patrimoine (DHP)
Défense nationale │ Gouvernement du Canada
Suzanne.Doyle@forces.gc.ca<mailto:Suzanne.Doyle@forces.gc.ca> / Tél : 613-290-2102