From: Owen Lamb <owendlamb@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, 20 September 2021 at 06:48
To: public-music-notation@w3.org <public-music-notation@w3.org>
Subject: SMuFL: rotated arpeggio glyphs?

Hello,

In my work on making the Emmentaler music font SMuFL-compatible, I've found the way SMuFL encodes arpeggios a bit hard to grasp.

The arpeggiato segment glyphs (wiggleArpeggiatoUp, etc.) appear to be turned on their side, meaning that programs would have to rotate them in order to use them. However, I can't seem to find how this is to be done in the specification. Does SMuFL dictate how programs should place arpeggios? If so, how?

In addition, a fellow LilyPond contributor has brought up that there are other, better ways to encode a vertically tesselated glyph (see this message on the lilypond-devel archive: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-09/msg00048.html). Is there any reason not to introduce a model in which the arpeggio glyphs are upright from the start?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Owen Lamb

Product Marketing Manager
Phone: +44 20 3696 1811

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Beim Strohhause 31, 20097 Hamburg, Germany

President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Directors: Shinichi Takenaga, Jun Nishimura
Registration Court: Hamburg HR B 86 534 | VAT ID: DE118677139

Visit the Steinberg website<http://www.steinberg.net> or connect with us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/Steinberg>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/steinbergmedia>, Instagram<http://www.instagram.com/steinbergmedia> and SoundCloud<http://www.soundcloud.com/steinbergmedia>.
Watch our Cubase<https://www.youtube.com/cubase>, Dorico<https://www.youtube.com/dorico>, Mobile Apps<https://www.youtube.com/mobile_apps_steinberg>, Nuendo<https://www.youtube.com/nuendo>, Steinberg<https://www.youtube.com/user/SteinbergSoftware>, Audio Interfaces<https://www.youtube.com/audiointerfaces>, VST Instruments & Plug-Ins<https://www.youtube.com/VSTinstrumentsplugins> and WaveLab<https://www.youtube.com/WaveLab> videos on YouTube.