Re: Proposal for Encoding Common Musical Notation in Unicode

Bertrand:

On 2020-09-04 05:07, Bertrand Emerit wrote:
> Thank you for your comments. I find them /utterly /helpful.…

I'm very glad. It's clear from your summary of my message that you
understood me well.

> My conclusion of the discussions so far is that:
>
>  1. Next step is the creation of a demonstration software, and without
>     it, there is no going further.
>  2. Revision of this document is necessary but depends on point 1.
>  3. The proposal in itself reaches some interest, but the submission
>     of this proposal, as of now, is pointless.

I would suggest some other steps which might be helpful.

*State your value proposition and comparative advantage*: Thank about
statements which make it clear what the value proposition of this music
encoding is. What does it do very well? What value does it provide its
customers? Thank also how it is different from and better than other
music encodings. Make statements like, "Unlike MusicXML, this encoding
is …". State clearly what the advantages are compared to MNX, MEI, and
ABC as well.

*Find your customers*: Who are the people who will particularly get
value from this encoding?  How can you identify them?  How can you tell
them about this proposal, and what can they do to support you? Being in
communication with your customers is very helpful. They can help you
make choices in development, and keep you from losing your way.

*See if the Unicode Consortium will accept your proposal as a Request
for Comments*. I agree that this submission needs more work before it
could be accepted by the Consortium. However, you might get value from
their reading of the proposal and commenting about the "not plain text"
and "music notation out of scope" objections. Maybe they would accept
the document on their agenda as a low-priority item, if they have time.

*Consult the Unicode@Unicode.org email list*. There is an email list for
general discussion of Unicode issues. See
<https://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist-unicode.html> for
information about it. You could send your proposal there to get comments
about the "not plain text" and "music notation out of scope" objections.
The list has no official weight in the Unicode process, but many of the
official people are also on that list, and many of the readers of that
list are familiar with official thinking. Plus, you don't need to get
accepted onto an agenda to get this list's review.

I hope this helps,
         —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada

--
.   --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh@jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953