RE: Proposal for Encoding Common Musical Notation in Unicode

Bertrand,

It may be worth noting that there is already a scheme for encoding music
notation in text (in this case ASCII): called abc.   The spec is at

http://abcnotation.com/wiki/abc:standard:v2.1

http://abcnotation.com/wiki/abc:standard:v2.2

abc has a small but enthusiastic following, and there are (free)
applications available for drawing the music.

It isn’t quite what you envisage, and the drawing code still has to make all
sorts of assumptions about the placement of symbols.   But it may be worth
referring to, as the problems encountered by people who have programmed it,
may anticipate some for your system.

Dave

David Webber
Mozart Music Software