Re: SMuFL text font alignment (Bravura Text, etc.)

My thought is that for a super quick and dirty first pass, font authors should rescale each range so that the largest glyph in each range fills the space between base-line and caps height, and then manual scalling can take place from there.  For instance the Octaves (E510-E51F) range act like normal font characters, so few if any further adjustments would need to be made.  The dynamics range should probably be scaled (at least E520 - E53D) so that the “r” glyph fits as “x-height” (or a high x-height) and the “f” and “p” characters should not extend below the descender range.  Lyric elisions (E550-E55F) would need to be handled separately to not fill the whole space but rest on or just below the baseline.  For notes with stems, I’d break everything into half (+whole and breve) to 32nd, and then scale separately 64th to 1024th.  Combining figures (such as the combining tremolos) would be more complex — Ideally they would be able to combine with noteQuarterStemUp, but these are ideals that shouldn’t prevent a useful immediately practice.  Getting an implementation where the most basic symbols (common notes, accidentals, articulations) work fine would then let the community start defining ranges that need more individual tweaking.  As it is, I still use Yo Tomita's Bach font when I want to combine text and musical symbols instead of a SMuFL font as I’d like to.

Thanks!

Best,
Myke