Re: traditional Japanese music notation

Hi,

This is really Daniel Spreadbury's department, but I'd like to add my
two cents. :-)

https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/index.html
seems to be self-contradictory.
§1 restricts SMuFL to "conventional music notation":
> SMuFL is a specification that provides a standard way of mapping the
> thousands of musical symbols required by conventional music notation
> into the Private Use Area in Unicode’s Basic Multilingual Plane for a
> single (format-independent) font.
while §2 says SMuFL should be "for the benefit of all users of music
notation software":
> The goal of SMuFL is to establish a new standard glyph mapping for
> musical symbols that is optimised for modern font formats and that can
> be adopted by a variety of software vendors and font designers, for
> the benefit of all users of music notation software.

IMHO §1 needs revising. There /should/ be a section in SMuFL dedicated
to Asian music symbols.
However, deciding how to organize that section needs input from the
domain experts. Perhaps Razvan Beuran could help there. For example, do
/all/ Asian music notations have symbols with similar meanings? How
could they be meaningfully categorized? Do the different Asian notations
need sections of their own or not?

All the best,
James Ingram

--