Re: MusicXML 3.1 - ready for release?

Thank you, I now understand your problem. I can only speak to the software
which I developed. In that software, MusicXML import converts the file into
the internal representation used by the software. Any information that is
not supported by that software is ignored. MusicXML export then takes
whatever information is stored in the internal representation and converted
to MusicXML. You are correct in that your missing data is lost during the
import process. I believe other notation software also works this way.

I do not believe it is part of the MusicXML standard to specify that a
MusicXML client must maintain an internal state that would preserve the
imported MusicXML. MusicXML is (primarily) a transport mechanism; it allows
files to be exchanged between different pieces of software. MusicXML does
not specify whether a MusicXML client uses MusicXML beyond import/export.

I don't know how Finale handles time-only in verses, but you may want to
file a bug/feature request with them to address the issue. I personally do
not believe that this is a limitation of MusicXML, but rather a limitation
of the MusicXML clients.