Re: MusicXML 3.1 - ready for release?

About notation programs preserving the MusicXML code (Answer to Jeremy
Sawruk's question):

I did Test-1.xml that has a note D, lowered a little bit:

       <note default-x="159">
         <pitch>
           <step>D</step>
           <alter>-0.23</alter>
           <octave>4</octave>
         </pitch>
         <duration>1</duration>
         <voice>1</voice>
         <type>eighth</type>
         <accidental>flat-1</accidental>
         <stem default-y="-3">up</stem>
         <beam number="1">continue</beam>
       </note>

I imported Test-1.xml into Finale and saved it as Test-2.xml. Now the
alter-value disappeared and the accidental changed to "natural". I also
imported Test-1.xml to MuseScore and saved this as Test-3.xml. And both
alter- and accidental-definition disappear.
But I am not only thinking of single elements - also the whole structure
is changed. If you compare Test-2.xml and
Test-3 (Finale and Musescore) you see a lot of differences. Even when
you save from MusesScore some formatting
is lost (again and again).
The reason is of cause that notation programs have their own formats and
internal structure. And this internal structure is not linked to the
MusicXML code.

Hope this explains what I mean.

For my part, I want to add lyric text,  that appears like writers use to
write it: A repeated text (e.g. a refrain that is the same
in all verses) is only written once. To the text I therefore add the
"time-only" attribute e.g. with a value "1, 2, 3, 4" - for all verses.
But I use a notation program to write the music score. I can add this
manually into the MusicXML-file, but if it disappears after every change
done with the notation program?

Still the saved files are MusicXML. I just hope that notation programs
in the future will provide means to write the lyrics using "time-only".

PS: I could be wrong with these two examples - but the general problem
exists.