Re: For your consideration: an MNX thought exercise

Quick (I promise!) followup to Jan and Alex.

First, let me just reaffirm before the discussion blows up again: I am
committed to working on a generalized approach to notation in parallel with
CWMN (but at a more stately pace). I do not think the two approaches can
serve the same interests, but I think they are both worthwhile. Far more
work needs to take place on defining the meaning of "generalized" than most
have acknowledged so far.

Alex, on a first reading I missed that you included the Pömmelchen score in
your email. Of course, you and I have discussed this score before. I think
it is a perfect test case for "generalized notation", precisely because of
its caprice and its ambiguity. I have affection for it as a composition,
and it raises some lovely questions precisely for the reasons that Jan
gave. I look forward to coming back and working with it again.

I must offer my opinion that I do not think it's going to be worthwhile to
torture a CWMN-specific dialect like MNX into representing
Pömmelchen's multiple and conflicting interpretations. Rather, I think it's
going to be an excellent test case for generalized notation. Pieces like
this I would class as "CWMN-inspired", but they are not CWMN. The Ligeti
actually, is much closer to CWMN and using "extreme interrogation
techniques" on MNX is perhaps not necessary.

Joe Berkovitz
Founder
Noteflight LLC

49R Day Street