Re: Measure-free scores

> I would much rather that an application export multiple measures with
hidden barlines that decide not to support MNX at all.

It would be deceptive to finally find that MNX results in cosmetic version
of MusicXML. Most current existing applications uses the 'hidden' barlines
approach probably as a bypass, because they put the emphasis around
measures without considering the existence of measure-free music. Even in
these cases, it should not be complex to export music in both formats,
single measure or multiple measures with hidden barlines, so I do not
consider that enforcing a single construct will force people not to support
MNX. On the contrary, I think that a clean approach not open to
interpretation or multiple alternatives will be a stronger standard.

Hidden objects has to do with presentation not with the semantics. Having
to deduce that an score is measure-free by checking that all barlines are
hidden and that there is no time signature is not an advance over MusicXML.