Re: ISSUE-118: HTML ITS default behaviour - starting point, ACTION-452

Hi Jirka, all,

On 20.03.2013 17:15, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 20.3.2013 16:13, Karl Fritsche wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find the discussion on the HTML5 list about the changes,
>> because I wanted to lookup, why the added the style attribute as
>> translatable. The other attributes would be fine with me and are mor or
>> less the same, we had in our list too.
> It's sometimes hard to track source of changes as not everything happens
> on mailing list or bugzilla. In this case I think that reason could be
> CSS content property which can contain natural language text.

Okay, thanks for this info.So what is our plan here now? Let style be
translatable or try to ask them, why its translatable?

>> While for these defaults could be generated rules, there is still the
>> different behavior of the translate attribute. All translatable
>> attributes are translate="yes" by default in HTML, while in ITS its
>> "no". Also the only possibility in HTML5 to change translatable
>> attributes to "no", would be to at the element or parent element the
>> attribute translate="no". In ITS we say that the translate attribute
>> only influence elements, not attributes.
> We say this about general translate data category. But we can change
> rules for HTML binding of translate category.

Basically we are pointing to a solution, which behaves differently when
you use ITS in HTML and in XML? So for the translate data category you
can only partially reuse your code from XML. Fine with me ;)

>> Even with all these "problems", we should first decide how we want to go
>> forward with the HTML5 Defaults. If we want to use this only to generate
>> a global ruleset for a best practice document, then we could ignore all
>> these problems and say that you can parse a document in the ITS way or
>> in the HTML way. For this case I'm in favor to use another attribute
>> like its-translate to make this clear for everybody.
> We shouldn't introduce its-translate if there is translate already in
> HTML. If we think that HTML translate attribute is broken, we should ask
> for fixing. But having two almost same attributes doesn't makes any sense.

I know, I only wanted to exaggerate a little bit, that we don't get to
far away from HTML.
I still think, we should firstly decide if we want these HTML Default as
rules for a best practice or as a normative section. Here the problem
could be that HTML5.1 is a moving target. But for overall handling its
much better to have this a default instead of only a best practice rule set.

Cheers
Karl