Re: [Relevant for all] options for the RDF representation of ITS 2.0

Hi Arle, all,

Am 12.08.13 09:43, schrieb Arle Lommel:
> Hi Felix et al.,
>
> I think we need some more information to better understand the
> implications of the three options you present. So here are my initial
> thoughts and questions:
>
> *Option 1*
> This is the lowest hurdle, correct? We would keep the existing NIF
> references and simply make them non-normative, or is there anything
> more involved?

No.

> The drawbacks would be that a a non-normative section might be ignored
> by implementers and that a non-normative section written as though it
> were normative would be a little odd.

Correct.

With this option we would have the timeline described at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Aug/0009.html

> *Option 2a*
> What is involved in 2a? Is it just copying the files and declaring
> them as part of ITS, or is there more involved?

Copying the ontology file, and changing the NIF URIs to be in the W3C
namespace.

> This would, I would assume, create a mandatory new last call since
> actually declaring this NIF content as a normative part of ITS 2.0
> would be a major substantive change. (A mapping is one thing, but this
> is adding new stuff.)

Correct. But note that also option 1 has the need for another last call.
See again the 0009 mail
"1) publish a new LC draft 15 August (previous published draft was LC
draft 21 May)"

> I'm also worried about what this does to NIF in the long run. If we
> declare this NIF content part of ITS 2.0, what happens when NIF itself
> develops further?

We would need to make explicit that this approach of using NIF is
specific to a specific version of NIF. And only we would maintain that
version. Probably it is better to call it NIF+ITS than NIF, since we
"own" it - not the NIF community. Of course we want to work closely with
them to assure mutual agreement about this.

> It would seem we are creating, at the least, a fork in NIF (of between
> NIF and this NIFish stuff we would create), unless we have some sort
> of mutual maintenance agreement (but that would lead us right back to
> the problem we face now, would it not? that W3C does not want to be
> bound to external specifications with problematic IP).

We won't be bound to an external spec with this option, see above.

> Maybe you see a way to avoid some of the possible problems I can
> foresee here (and I assume you've probably thought this through much
> better than I have and probably consulted with Sebastian Hellmann), so
> what are your thoughts for /how/ this would work and how we avoid
> potential problems.
>

> *Option 2b*
> Unless someone has an idea that is just waiting and ready to go at
> this point, I would not pursue this option given our deadlines. We
> simply don't have time to develop something that does what NIF does
> internal to our group.
>

> In short, I think we need to understand the broader implications of
> each approach before we come to consensus and many of those
> implications depend on W3C positions that we aren't in a position to
> know yet. But if you know, Felix, maybe you can give some more
> guidance here.

I hope above guidance helped, let me know otherwise.