Re: [ISSUE-55] ITS in XLIFF - CAT tool requirements

Christian, all,
IMHO direct ITS support in CAT tools only makes sense if they are working
with source formats. Which is often the case, but is exactly the
undesirable formats and filters jungle that XLIFF had been set up to
simplify and override.
If a tool is an XLIFF extractor/merger it of course makes sense for them to
be able to recognize ITS directly at least in HTML5 and a number of
standard XML vocabularies.

Supporting ITS on extract/merge is very different (and complementary) from
supporting a translator consumption/manipulation of the categories during
XLIFF editing.

AFAIK OmegaT in neither incarnation is an XLIFF extractor/merger, it relies
on OKAPI to get its XLIFFs.
So as I see it, work on direct support of ITS in OmegaT does not make much
sense and is orthogonal to the mapping support.

Cheers
dF

Dr. David Filip
LRC | CNGL | LT-Web | CSIS