Re: [all] Call for consensus: Preserve Space

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 09:46 +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 12.7.2012 0:27, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > Also, do we have any precedent for setting data categories based
> > on HTML+CSS? It occurs to me that if you use a tool chain that
> > can apply CSS rules, you could query the white-space property
> > for a node. Requiring CSS processing is probably too much, but
> > should we say that an implementation MAY apply CSS rules and
> > query the white-space property? If yes, and if we only use the
> > xml:space values, we have to define a mapping.
>
> I think that we were considering using only CSS selectors as an
> alternative for XPath patterns.
>
> Calculating CSS property value is not that easy if you take into account
> all priorities as defined in CSS spec. I don't think we want to go this
> route.

I absolutely think that requiring CSS is too much. I was thinking
of somebody implementing ITS as a Firefox extension, for example.
That kind of implementation would have access to CSS properties.
I viewed it as sort of like getting a fixed value from a DTD or
an XML Schema. You don't have to implement those, but if you do,
you can use the data they provide.

Thinking about it more, though, if we allowed optionally setting
ITS Preserve Space from CSS white-space, then we should allow
setting ITS Directionality from CSS direction.

--
Shaun