Re: [All] its-tool-ref vs. its-tools-ref

Hi Dave, Phil, Yves, all,

I think both Phil and Yves come from the "data versus ITS annotation"
distinction. We had discussed that before, and it always leads to the
situation:
1) sometimes you want to provide tool information just about the textual
data
2) sometimes you want to provide tool information about the textual data
+ annotations
3) sometimes you want to provide tool information about just annotations

Now, 1) is no problem: just use tool-ref from provenance, and you are fine.

2) and 3) have the problem that the ITS annotation expressing tool
information gets interrelated with the data category annotation:
confidence from disambiguation, MT, or terminology. That leads to
inheritance problems, and that was the reason why we invented the
separate tool annotation mechanism.

If we now drop the data category independent tool mechanism, we will
force users of disambiguation, MT, or terminology to implement provenance.

If we drop toolRef/revToolRef from provenance (as suggested by Yves
below), we will not respond to use case 1). That is, if e.g. you created
a text via machine translation and want to express the tool, you could
not say this (I'm assuming here we would not have toolRef/revToolRef
from provenance but the independent tool mechanism, and the attribute
its:annotator is renamed to its:originator):

You would need to say

The question when is: what data category is "xyz"? In case 1) no data
category is involved, so there is no suitable data category identifier.

For me the solution would be to say:

- annotatorsRef is for responding to use cases 2) and 3)
- we'd need to make clear that the tool identified via its:annotatorsRef
can be the tool actual inserting the annotation or being closely related
to it. MT engines would fall under this category.
- we need to make clear that provenance is only meant for cases in which
no ITS annotation is involved at all, that is scenario 1).

If we follow that line of reasoning, we would keep annotatorsRef (just
insert the "s", as suggested by Yves), but to make clear that this
mechanism always involves ITS annotations.

I don't know what people think, but trying to move things forward I did
some edits offline (without changes in CVS). See an update proposal with
change markes here

http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/File:Its20-annotation-edits.docx

Comments welcome.