Re: [All] its-tool-ref vs. its-tools-ref

Hi Phil, all,

Am 01.12.12 23:40, schrieb Phil Ritchie:
> Yves, All
>
> In trying to clarify the situation for myself:
>
> There are two sets of data:
>
>  1. The content (of primary importance) and the agents that have
>     created and interacted with the content;
>  2. The container of the content - metadata - and the agents that have
>     created and modified it.
>

> To me anything that pertains to A is the realm of Provenance; that
> which pertains to B is the realm of ITS Tools Annotation.
>
> With this view, MT Confidence should use Provence (tool, toolRef,
> revTool, revToolRef). This is how locQuality* would have to record any
> tools as it does not have its own tool related attributes.

Of course you can max data categories. See this example file from the
ITS 1.0 test suite:

http://www.w3.org/International/its/tests/inputdata/Translate1.xml

it mixes "Translate" and "within Text". Here it is done with global
rules, but it also can be done with local markup.

The main point is that ITS 1.0 / 2.0 leaves this mixing to the
application. The benefit is that the application becomes quite flexible
in what it wants to mix, and you can envisage many applications, from
content creation to localization to language technology ... . The
drawback is that you have to decide yourself what mixing is useful for
your scenario.

> Now, this makes me realise that we then have data categories which are
> related to each other. This would seem to require people to use Global
> markup in order to capture this relation:
>
> <its:rules>
>         <its:mtConfidenceRule....
>         <its:provRule....
>         <its:locQualityIssueRule
> </its:rules>

Of course, that's possible. See here, from the above example from the
test suite:
[
<its:rules version="1.0"><its:translateRule selector="//img/@alt"
translate="yes"/><its:translateRule selector="//*/@title"
translate="yes"/><its:translateRule selector="//verbatim"
translate="no"/><its:translateRule selector="//verbatim/@*"
translate="no"/><its:translateRule selector="//verbatim//*/@*"
translate="no"/><its:withinTextRule selector="//img|//verbatim"
withinText="yes"/></its:rules>
]

And the "Base RELAX NG schema for ITS" at
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#its-schemas
which allows you to mix the rules, using this definition

[

*<define*  name="its-rules"*>*
     *<element*  name="rules"*>*
       *<a:documentation>*Container for global rules.*</a:documentation>*
       *<ref*  name="its-rules.content"*/>*
       *<ref*  name="its-rules.attributes"*/>*
     *</element>*
   *</define>*
   *<define*  name="its-rules.content"*>*
     *<zeroOrMore>*
       *<ref*  name="its-param"*/>*
     *</zeroOrMore>*
     *<zeroOrMore>*
       *<choice>*
         *<ref*  name="its-translateRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-locNoteRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-termRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-dirRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-rubyRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-langRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-withinTextRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-domainRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-disambiguationRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-localeFilterRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-provRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-locQualityIssueRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-mtConfidenceRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-externalResourceRefRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-targetPointerRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-idValueRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-preserveSpaceRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-allowedCharactersRule"*/>*
         *<ref*  name="its-storageSizeRule"*/>*
       *</choice>*
     *</zeroOrMore>*
   *</define>*

]

> In Local markup can attributes from different data categories be mixed?

Sure. But what you do with it depends on your application.

> consumable as raw mt output this is bad!">This text was produced by
> machine translation engine, is for gisted output but has been rated by
> an end user.</span>
>
> _Worse still at this point_ in the proceedings it makes me _realise
> that I need_ a local attribute for locQuality* called
> "locQualityIssueConformance". In fairness this is _in the original
> Requirements Specification_
> (https://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/Requirements#Quality_Assurance_.28QA.29)
> but fell through the cracks.

You won't get it. Put it into your own namespace and ask for it when
people start working on ITS 2.1 or ITS 3.0. Co-chair-hat on: according
to our charter

http://www.w3.org/2011/12/mlw-lt-charter

we should have been in the feature complete "last call" stage in
November. We are delayed. Hence, new feature requests will not be taken
into account. We can make clarifications, though, like the name of the
ITS annotation attribute, and I'll make a proposal later on Sunday.

Note also that our publication schedule is announced to all other
working groups
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2012OctDec/0070.html
and the publication date is set to 6 December - others in the group
already asked about the address of the draft
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/
See last wg call meeting minutes. These are additional reasons not to
discuss new feature requests.

- Felix