From: Shaun McCance [mailto:shaunm@gnome.org]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 8:12 AM
To: public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org
Subject: XPath Version

What version of XPath will be used for ITS 2.0? ITS 1.0 says "The selector attribute contains an AbsoluteLocationPath as described in XPath 1.0 or its successor."

http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#datacategory-locations

But XPath 2.0 isn't entirely backwards compatible with XPath 1.0.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#id-backwards-compatibility

I suppose new standards probably ought to use the newest version.
But XPath 2.0 is considerably more difficult to implement, and a full implementation requires an XSD implementation. 2.0 isn't as widely implemented as 1.0, and requiring it could hurt adoption.

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I didn't see anything on the wiki pages.

--
Shaun