[ACTION-80] consider consolidation of mtDisambiguationData, namedEntity, terminology and textAnalyticsAnnotation

Hi Tadej, guys,
I've moved this branch of the thread under a subject line for a new
action to consider this consolidation (which I gave to you Tadej).

Could I ask the MT guys, Declan, Pedro, Daniel, to give some insight
into what is needed for mtDisambiguation. What form of disambiguation
information would this point to? Would this have different (lexical)
properties from a regular term base, e.g. contextual conditions? I guess
this would be different based on whether this is RBMT or SMT right?

Similarly, is the namedEntityRecognition any different to the general
sense of terminology?

Tadej, I'd be cautious of considering textAnalyticsAnnotation as the
superclass here, since certainly it will still often be the case that
the annotation results from human source text review/QA, rather than
necessarily from an automated, NLP component doing text analytics.

The common characteristic would seem to be the need to associate a term
or phrase with some external information for use in later processing, as
is broadly supported by the current terminology data category. The
definition in http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#terminology is
actually fairly loose in this regard - it doesn't specify that the data
category be used for terminology management specifically, despite what
the name would indicate.

Could the same approach of simply associating with external information
be taken regardless of whether this be a link to a term base, including
term translations and definitions, link to a conceptual node in a
semantic web ontology or lexical store or some special MT
disambiguations store. Or does the differing nature of these external
resources require a hint in the data category name that it should be
accessed in different ways.

Perhaps you guys could list out some of the use cases in a bit more
detail, it might become clearer what the commonalities really are, and
then to make a judgement on whether they can really be consolidated, or
whether they represent very separate use cases that should be kept
separate (which is fine, we should not consolidate for the sake of it,
as forcing unlinked functionality behaviour together in a data category
could harm its uptake by implementers).

Also, consider if the need for additional attributes requires a
separation. For instance, terminology  associations arising from NLP may
benefit from a confidence score as we discussed previously. But perhaps
that only needs an additional optional attribute to accompany the
terminology attribtue?

Note, if we are interested in recording properties of the process, e.g.
which text analytics engine or terminology expert was involved in
entering the attribute into a document, this may be better captured
using the provenance data category.

Sorry for the long post, but please try and advance the discussion
before the call next friday.

cheers,
Dave