Re: [issue 3] What ontology should describe the metadata values (entity types)

Hi Maxime, all,
Yes, the general principle is that a data category should be defined in
a schema/language agnostic way, which for a pointer to an external
concept or term means it must be agnostic to both the schema/language of
the document hosting the pointer (though we are currently restricting
this to HTML5 and XML) and to the schema/language of the document (or
database?) hosting what is being pointed at.

One option is just use IRIs using a single pointer attribute That
happily addresses things we want to reference in the LOD and semantic
web world, and quite a lot of other language resources are moving in
this direction, e.g. NIG, Olif etc.

However, this leave us with the problems of addressing other important
file formats such as TBX, TMX and XLIFF.  Does anyone have experience of
best practice in using external references to elements in such formats,
e.g. using Xpointer, URI with specific conventions for resolving element
ID?

Would we need to identify the file type in the data category if
different mechanisms are needed for different formats (see earlier
posting on lack of mime type for these files)?

cheers,
Dave