RE: Comments on section 8.4 (Terminology)

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:57:31 +0200
To: "'Daniel Glazman'" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, <public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org>
Hi Daniel,

>... <its:term term="no" selector="//foo" termInfoRef="#blah"/>
> I _suppose_ termInfoRef is optional since it's meaningless
> here with term="no" and 8.4.2 seems to confirm it.
> But what should an authoring environment switching from:
> <its:term term="yes" selector="//foo" termInfoRef="#blah"/>
> to term="no" do? Preserve termInfoRef? Get rid of it?

Yes, when term is set to "no" there is little one can do with the other information.
In general I would tend to preserve the information, in case the user wants to turn it back on. If s/he would really want to get rid
of the information s/he would probably just delete the annotation.

> Furthermore, the prose in section 8.4.2 makes valid the following:
> <its:term term="yes" selector="//foo" />
> and I have honestly no idea what it means since no terminology
> is attached in any way...
> Does the spec really intend to allow this or is it a bug?

You probably meant: <its:termRule term="yes" selector="//foo" />
It means the element <foo> is used to denote terms.

Many translation tool have little support for terminology management, and allowing the minimal information term='yes' may still be
useful for the translator. It can be used, for example, by a tool different from the one that created the document, to list look up
an external term list.
It can also be used to markup the result of a statistical-based process to identify term candidates. Those would not have yet a link
to a definition or a translation.

I hope this helps,
-yves