Re: Comments on section 7 of ITS 2.0

On 5.7.2013 10:38, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> I have two very practical implementation issues with the prose in
> section 7 of ITS 2.0 [1].
>
> 1. Nothing is said about the weird case of a XHTML document using
>    _both_ its-* attributes AND attributes in the its namespace

I think that such document would be non-conforming, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/#conformance-class-html5-its, as HTML5 itself
prohibits any foreign attributes.

> My recommendation for solving these issues would be:
>
> 1. add the following normative prose to section 7:
>
>    The syntax described in Section 6 and attributes in the ITS
>    namespace are mutually exclusive in the space of the whole document.

Such document would be non-conforming so it is redundant to normatively
repeat this, but we can definitively add this as a note for easier
reading of spec.

>    A XHTML document using namespaced attributes to declare ITS
>    information MUST declare the ITS namespace on the root element of
>    the document.

I understand that this will make detection much easier, but not all
libraries for serializing XML are giving you enough control over places
where namespace declarations will actually appear. So my preference
would be to require its:version attribute on the root element if we
really want to have something ITS specific on the root element.

    Jirka