From: "Dave Lewis" <dave.lewis@cs.tcd.ie>
To: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
Cc: "Norbert Lindenberg" <w3@norbertlindenberg.com>, "public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org" <public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
Subject: I18N-ISSUE-217: Missing support for localizable items that are not translatable [ITS-20]
Date: Tue, Jan 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Norbert, Des, Felix,
I think in fact ITS already recognises the distinction between words passed to translators and other features Norbert identifies are being addressed by localisation engineers. The data category selection section (3.3) states "selection of the ITS data categories applies to textual values contained within element or attribute nodes" so the content of images, CSS values or strings in script languages are not intended to be in scope of the specification.

So, with the exception of currency and date formats hardcoded in translatable text (which translators are probably already equipped to deal with without additional instruction) addressing localisation instructions in addition to the current transaltion instructions, would in my view be a large scope enlargement for ITS2.0, so I'd agree with Felix that we should not try and address this here.

I would however encourage the WG to start capturing this issue as one not addressed in ITS2.0 as Felix suggests. Certainly, to really support multilingual HTML5 we need to be able to properly manage the translation and localisation of CSS3 and Javascript. Though this was deemed out of scope for ITS2.0 its interoperability should be on the broader plan for the W3C I18N group I feel.

cheers,
Dave