Re: Warning text at odds with Mobile Web Best Practices

Hi,

Many thanks for the report, Paschal!

I agree with you. The test actually does not detect incorrect uses of
caching techniques, but rather:
  1. the absence of caching information (which would trigger a failure)
  2. the presence of caching directives that prevent caching (warnings)
  3. a few cases where the server does not return an optimal response
when "Last-Modified" or "ETag" are used (warnings as well)

The purpose of most of these warnings is not say: "you've done something
wrong", but "make sure that prevented caching on purpose because it has
a particular impact on mobile networks".

In particular, there is no attempt to warn about the fact that the
caching value may not be appropriate for the content in itself.

I softened the wording of the test explanation to:
"Detects lack of caching information and possible improvements [...]"
... and completed the warning information with a link to a tutorial on
caching.

What is still missing IMO, and I'll add it in a later phase, is a global
explanation that warnings are usually "neutral", i.e. may or may not
have to be addressed, depending on the context.

Francois.