RE: ACTION-516 [CTF] Evaluate how hard it would be to produce XML out of CSS stylesheets using SAC

It seems worth recording somewhere that the flute parser behaves (to me)
unexpectedly on @media rule - e.g. for "@media handheld, all {...}"ois
is probably wrong, in my view ... the e - e.g. turns just catching up).

ext Key Task force espouses my ideas on this (see r it returns only
"all". This is probably wrong, in my view ...

Jo

capture

> more than one error if there is one. And in addition to looking for

> absolute measures we also need to parse by @media rule and we also
need

> to pull in @imports and also background and list images. All in all
it's

> not completely trivial.

> So what I propose is that I get on with doing the minimal
implementation

> per the above and extract some kind of structure with the relevant

> information in it. Whether that then goes on to being a full XML

> serialization I think is between me and my God and/or employer. It's
not

> burningly urgent to have the XML serialization and there is a lot else

> to do.

> It does look as though the Flute parser is the one to go for, though
the

> fact that it appears not to work correctly for CSS comments is a
worry.

> If anyone has experience that goes beyond Batik and Flute that would
be

> good to hear.

> Jo

We

> > need to look for absolute units, which is almost an operation for
mere

> > regular expressions.

> > An XML serialization in the moki doc would no doubt be useful to

> > future generations of extenders. Any support for putting this off

> > until later though?

> > I won't object if you really want to do it or anything but don't
think

> > it's a must-have to finish an implementation.

> > Sean

> > On 6/15/07, Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi> wrote:

> > > A status report on this action arising from our F2F in London this

> week.

> > > This comes from Dom's throw-away line "couldn't you just ..." and
my

> > > taking the bait.

> > > So the story so far:

> > > I built a trivial framework around SAC and implemented a trivial

> > > ContentHandler and ErrorHandler.

> > > I used the Batik CSS Parser as the starting point - on the

> > > recommendation of the SAC Home Page [1] which says that it is

> smaller

> > > and faster than the W3C Flute implementation. It turns out that

> Batik

> > > appears to get into a tangle on the first error and doesn't appear

> > > recover properly. So switching to the Flute implementation
(slower,

> > > bigger) it does appear to recover from errors properly - and my

> guess

> > > would be that is why it is slower and bigger. But for our
purposes,

> much

> > > more appropriate. Though time will tell actually how well it
works,

> > > given that it appears not to pass through comments.

> > > (It's an interesting question, I suppose, that the Batik parser

> appears

> > > to contravene the spirit if not the letter of CSS parsing rules,
and

> > > consequently, perhaps it should appear with that caveat on the SAC

> home

> > > page).

> > > So far as JXCSS is concerned, the implementation notes say that it

> > > doesn't work with Flute, if I remember correctly, which is a

> limitation,

> > > and it does not implement an error handler. Neither of these is a

> > > terminal error , I guess, but it does raise the question of
whether

> > > implement afresh - in reality copying much of what JXCSS does in
its

> > > document handler, or whether it makes sense to carry out surgery
on

> > > JXCSS itself and contribute it back.

> > > I think that given Sean's military attitude to coding style :-) we

> are

> > > probably better doing the former, with due acknowledgement, of

> course,

> > > to where code has been 'borrowed'.

> > > There's of course the issue of error messages ...

> > > ... so the conclusion seems to be that the answer is 'yes' - I am

> not

> > > going to be able to do much more work on this over the next week
or