Re: Pointer target spacing issues

Hi All,

I reviewed the three issues re: pointer target spacing and closed one. The
other two bring up a good point of allowing smaller targets with relatively
large inactive areas around them. For example, in figure 2 in the
understanding document
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG22/Understanding/pointer-target-spacing.html>,
if the buttons were 10 px instead of 38 px, with a spacing of 34 px between
them, it would pass the SC.

Touchscreen heuristics can vary largely depending on capacitive sensitivity
of the material and OEM level design decisions. What is likely confusing is
the difference between padding (interactive area around the element) and
margins (non-interactive spacing).

There is a note in the SC that mentions increasing the hit-area of smaller
targets, which the group might want to consider. My proposal would be at
least 40X40 density independent pixels for mobile/ css pixels for web or 7
mmX7mm for level AA. Below are the mobile guidelines from Android, iOS,
Microsoft and BBC that informed this number.

Google (48X48 dp) :
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/accessibility/apps#large-controls

Apple (44X44 pt):
https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/visual-design/adaptivity-and-layout/
Microsoft (40X40 epx) :
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/input/guidelines-for-targeting#target-size
BBC (7mmX7mm) :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/futuremedia/accessibility/mobile/design/touch-target-size

Please let me know if I missed anything, and next steps I can help with to
resolve these issues. Thank you!

Best,
Sukriti